NCSU chancellor panel picked
DepartmentHistoryFacilitiesInclusionSpotlightEmploymentFaculty in PrintFaculty AwardsStaff AwardsGraduation NEWSROOM NCSU chancellor panel pickedMay 4, 2004 May 1, 2004 The News & Observer By Barbara Barrett, staff writer © Copyright 2004 The News & Ob …
May 4, 2004 By NC State ECE
NCSU chancellor panel picked
May 1, 2004
The News & Observer
By Barbara Barrett, staff writer
© Copyright 2004 The News & Observer Publishing Company.
RALEIGH — Thirteen people have been chosen to lead the search for the next chancellor of N.C. State University.
The group, approved Friday morning by the NCSU Board of Trustees, includes seven trustees, three professors and one each of the following — a staff member, a dean and an alumni association representative.
One of the trustees, Tony Caravano, is a student and president of the student body. Other trustees are alumni of the university.
Robert B. Jordan III, a trustee and president of a lumber company in Mount Gilead, will serve as chairman.
“This is a good committee,” Jordan said during Friday’s teleconference meeting of the trustees.
“I think there are three key words here — trust, respect and confidentiality — as we go through this,” he said. “We’re going to be as strong as the weakest link.”
The group is charged with developing a list of finalists to forward to the full Board of Trustees, probably sometime in the fall. The full board then will forward names to UNC system President Molly Broad, who will make the final decision on a new chancellor.
Current Chancellor Marye Anne Fox begins a new job in August as chancellor of the University of California, San Diego.
The committee will be joined by Art Padilla, a professor of business management who recently wrote a book on college presidents.
Padilla was nominated as a member of the committee Friday, but trustees decided he will serve as a consultant and sit in on many of the meetings.
P.J. Teal, now assistant to the chancellor, will offer staff support to the committee.
In addition to Jordan and Caravano, members of the search committee are:
* D. McQueen Campbell III, trustee and president of Campbell Development Inc.
* Ann B. Goodnight, trustee and director of community relations for SAS.
* Wendell Murphy, trustee and chief executive officer and chairman of the board for MurFarm Enterprises.
* Steve F. Warren, trustee and managing partner of Gateway Management.
* Dennis M. Daley, chairman of the NCSU faculty and a professor of political science and public administration.
* Burley Mitchell Jr., incoming president of the NCSU Alumni Association and a former chief justice for the state supreme court.
* Marvin J. Malecha, dean of the College of Design.
* Winser E. Alexander, professor of electrical and computer engineering.
* Todd R. Klaenhammer, university distinguished professor and William Neal Reynolds professor of food science.
* Laura D. Massengill, an office assistant in crop science and chairwoman-elect of the NCSU staff senate.
* Peaches Gunter Blank, chairwoman of the Board of Trustees, an ex officio voting member.
Staff writer Barbara Barrett can be reached at 829-4870.