Dr. Townsend's research interests are in the areas of digital communication, communication networks, modeling and simulation, and wireless communication systems. He is currently working on projects in the following three areas: 1. communication theory, architectures and protocols for wireless, ultra-wideband, tactical military communication networks, 2. modeling and simulation of wireless communication systems.
Dr. Townsend has been a guest co-Editor for two special issues of the IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, one published in April 1993, and the other in May, 1997. Both covered the topic of Computer-Aided Modeling, Analysis, and Design of Communication Links. He has also served as Editor for Computer-Aided Design of Communication Systems for the IEEE Transactions on Communications.
University of Kansas
University of Kansas
University of Missouri-Rolla
Awards & Honors
- 2011-2012 - Alumni Distinguished Undergraduate Professor Award
- 2000 - Academy of Outstanding Teachers (NC State)
Posted on March 31, 2020 | Filed Under: Campus Life
As classes shift entirely online for the remainder of the semester, ECE faculty shift into high gear to leverage online tools and adapt (sometimes even household items) to dramatically different teaching needs.
Posted on March 16, 2012 | Filed Under: News
DepartmentHistoryFacilitiesDiversitySpotlightEmploymentFaculty AwardsStaff AwardsGraduationVisit NEWSROOM Keith TownsendJun 19, 2017 Dr. Keith Townsend and Dr. Greg Byrd were each recently honored with significant teaching awards by NC Stat …
- Near-far resistant synchronization for UWB communications (2011)
- M-ary PPM for transmitted reference ultra-wideband communications (2010)
- Multiple-access performance of transmitted reference UWB communications with M-ary PPM (2008)
- Transmitted reference ultra-wideband communications with M-ary PPM (2008)
- Threshold discrimination and blanking for large near-far power ratios in UWB networks (2005)
- The effects of timing jitter and tracking on the performance of impulse radio (2002)
- Efficient simulation of QoS in ATM switches using connection traffic descriptors (1999)
- Rare event simulation of delay in packet switching networks using DPR-based splitting (1999)
- Simulation of rare events in communications networks (1998)
- A stochastic importance sampling methodology for the efficient simulation of adaptive systems in frequency nonselective rayleigh fading channels (1997)