Monteith Research Center (MRC) 246
Campus Box 7911
Dr. Philip Barletta is the Director of Operations of the NC State Nanofabrication Facility (NNF), and Affiliate Graduate Faculty at NC State University.
The NNF is a Class 100 cleanroom that provides semiconductor processing capabilities to academic, industrial, and government users. The facility possesses a full range of micro- and nano-fabrication capabilities, enabling the research of 80+ NC State graduate students in several science and engineering disciplines.
Dr. Barletta also serves on the Executive Committee of the Research Triangle Nanotechnology Network (RTNN), an innovation hub for transformative nanotechnology research, discovery, education, commercialization, and workforce development. The RTNN connects and provides university facility access for thousands of researchers, students, and members of the public. As an Executive Committee member, Dr. Barletta works with a large team of investigators and staff located across three different universities in the Research Triangle (NC State, Duke, and UNC-CH).
Prior to accepting the NNF position, Dr. Barletta spent twelve years at RTI International and Micross AIT, where he focused on the growth of Bi2Te3-based thin-film materials and the processing, packaging, and testing of Bi2Te3-based thin-film thermoelectric devices. He was the principal investigator for several commercially funded and Department of Defense programs
During his career, Dr. Barletta has also studied solid-state lighting, photovoltaics, and infrared detection. His diverse research background includes publications regarding TE materials and devices, III-V materials, and diamond-like carbon.
NC State University
NC State University
- III - V Materials and Devices
- Optical Materials and Photonic Devices
- Silicon Devices and Fabrication
- Power Semiconductor Devices
Carolina Science Symposium
Awards & Honors
- 2015 - RTI Professional Development Award
- 2014 - RTI Discovery-Science-Technology Annual Award
- 2013 - RTI Highly Published Author Award
- 2013 - RTI Early Career Author Award
- 2012 - RTI Engineering and Technology Annual Award
- 2009 - RTI Annual Award – Extraordinary Technical Accomplishment
- 2004 - NC State Mentored Teaching Assistantship
- 1996 - U.S. DOE Graduate Assistance in Areas of National Need (GAANN) Fellowship
Wolfspeed Ahead: An NC State Spinoff Powers the Future
Posted on October 24, 2022 | Filed Under: News and Research
The company that pioneered LED lighting now looks to improve the efficiency and performance of electric vehicles and other high-power applications. Meet the people building the world’s largest silicon carbide manufacturing facility in Chath …