Prof. Baliga is an internationally recognized expert on power semiconductor devices. He is a Member of the National Academy of Engineering and a Fellow of the IEEE. He spent 15 years at the General Electric Research and Development Center, Schenectady, NY, leading their power device effort and was bestowed the highest scientific rank of Coolidge Fellow. He joined NC State in 1988 as a Full Professor and was promoted to the rank of 'Distinguished University Professor' in 1997. Among his many NCSU honors, he was the recepient of the 1998 O. Max Gardner Award given by the North Carolina University Board of Governors to the one person within the 16 constituent universities who has made 'the greatest contribution to the welfare of the human race'; and the 2011 Alexander Quarles Holladay Medal of Excellence, the highest honor at NCSU from the Board of Trustees.
Prof. Baliga has authored/edited 18 books and over 500 scientific articles. He has been granted 120 U.S. Patents. The IEEE has recognized him numerous times - most recently with the 'Lamme Medal' at Whitehall Palace in London. Scientific American magazine included him among the 'Eight Heroes of the Semiconductor Revolution' when commemorating the 50th anniversary of the invention of the transistor.
Prof. Baliga invented, developed and commercialized the Insulated Gate Bipolar Trannsistor (IGBT) at GE. The IGBT is extensively used in the consumer, industrial, lighting, transportation, medical, renewable energy, and other sectors of the economy. It has enabled enormous reduction of gasoline and electrical energy use, resulting in huge cost savings to consumers, and reduction of world-wide carbon dioxide emissions. A detailed report on the applications and social impact of the IGBT is available. He received the National Medal of Technology and Innovation, the highest form of recognition given to an engineer by the United States Government, from President Obama in October 2011, at the White House; and the North Carolina Award for Science from Governor Purdue in October 2012.
1969 - B.Tech in Electrical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Madras, India
1971 - MS in Electrical Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY
1974 - PhD in Electrical Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY
- Alcoa Foundation Distinguished Engineering Research Award (1995)
- Alexander Quarles Holladay Medal for Excellence (2011)
- IEEE Medal of Honor (2016)
- Member of National Academy of Engineering (1993)
- National Inventors Hall of Fame (2016)
- National Medal of Technology and Innovation (2011)
- North Carolina Award for Science (2012)
- O. Max Gardner Award (1998)
- The Global Energy Prize (2015)
- The R. J. Reynolds Tobacco Company Award for Excellence in Teaching, Research, and Extension (2000)
Awards & Honors
- 2017 - Inducted Fellow of the National Academy of Inventors
- 2017 - Inducted one of the five Foreign Fellows of Indian National Academy of Engineering
- 2016 - Honorary Doctor of Science Degree, I. I. T. - Madras
- 2015 - Global Energy Prize, President of the Russian Federation
- 2015 - IEEE EDS Celebrated Member Award
- 2013 - IEEE Life Fellow
- 2013 - Inducted into Rensselaer Alumni Hall of Fame
- 2013 - NCSU Risley Entreprenuer of the Year Award
- 2012 - BCBS 'Eminent Cottonian' Award
- 2012 - IEEE International Electron Devices Meeting Recognition at Plenary Session
- 2012 - Named among top 35 Indian Thinkers since 1975 by India Today, a leading news magazine in India with a readership of over 15 million.
- 2012 - Profiled in Forbes India 'Innovation Special' Magazine: "Among the 18 Great Minds who are doing cutting-edge work"
- 2010 - Inducted into Electronic Design Engineering Hall of Fame
- 2005 - Member, European Academy of Sciences
- 2004 - IEEE-ISPSD Contributory Award for Founding the conference and serving as General Chairman in 1993
- 2001 - ISI "100 Most Highly Cited Scientists in Engineering"
- 2000 - Distinguished Alumnus Award, Indian Institute of Technology, Madras
- 2000 - National Academy of Engineering re-classified as Member
- 1999 - Bell Tower Lighting for 100th US Patent (NC State)
- 1999 - IEEE Lamme Medal for Invention and Development of the IGBT
- 1998 - IEEE Ebers Award for technical contributions to Electron Devices (ED Society)
- 1998 - O Max Gardner Award for 'greatest contribution to the welfare of the human race' (University of North Carolina Board of Governors)
- 1997 - Scientific American Magazine 'One of the Eight Heroes of the Semiconductor Revolution'
- 1996 - "Ten People to Watch in the Triangle", News and Observer, Raleigh
- 1995-2002 - Honorary Editorial Advisory Board, Solid-State Electronics Journal
- 1995 - Alumni Association Outstanding Research Award (NC State)
- 1995 - BF Goodrich Collegiate Inventors Award, Inventors Hall of Fame
- 1993 - General Chairman, IEEE International Symposium on Power Semiconductor Devices
- 1993 - IEEE Liebman Award for contributions to 'Smart Power Technology'
- 1993 - National Academy of Engineering elected at age 45 as Foreign Affiliate from India
- 1992 - Pride of India Award (First Recipient), BSS Society, USA
- 1992 - Vice-General Chairman, IEEE International Symposium on Power Semiconductor Devices
- 1991 - IEEE Newell Award for technical contributions to Power Electronics (PE Society)
- 1991 - Technical Program Chairman, IEEE International Symposium on Power Semiconductor Devices
- 1988 - Whitney Hall of Technical Achievers, General Electric Company
- 1985-1990 - Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices
- 1984 - IR 100 Award for "Gallium Arsenide Schottky Power Rectifier"
- 1984 - Science Digest Magazine's '100 Brightest Young Scientists in America'
- 1983 - GE Coolidge Award (Highest Scientist Designation)
- 1983 - GE Dushman Award for 'The Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistor'
- 1983 - IEEE Fellow elected at age 35 for contributions to Power Semiconductor Devices
- 1983 - IR 100 Award for "Insulated Gate Transistor"
- 1982 - IEEE Region I Award
- 1974 - Allen B Dumont Prize (RPI, Top PhD Graduate)
- 1969 - Philips India Medal (IIT, Madras, Top EE Graduate)
- 1969 - Special Merit Medal (IIT, Madras, Valedictorian)
- 1.2-kV 4H-SiC SenseFET With Monolithically Integrated Sensing Resistor (2020)
- 2.3 kV 4H-SiC Accumulation-Channel Split-Gate Planar Power MOSFETs With Reduced Gate Charge (2020)
- 600 V 4H-SiC MOSFETs Fabricated in Commercial Foundry With Reduced Gate Oxide Thickness of 27 nm to Achieve IGBT-Compatible Gate Drive of 15 V (vol 40, pg 1792, 2019) (2020)
- Enhancing Short Circuit Capability of 1.2-kV Si IGBT Using a Gate-Source Shorted Si Depletion Mode MOSFET in Series With the Emitter (2020)
- 600 V 4H-SiC MOSFETs Fabricated in Commercial Foundry With Reduced Gate Oxide Thickness of 27 nm to Achieve IGBT-Compatible Gate Drive of 15 V (2019)
- Analysis and Experimental Quantification of 1.2-kV 4H-SiC Split-Gate Octagonal MOSFET (2019)
- Comparison of Four Cell Topologies for 1.2-kV Accumulation- and Inversion-Channel 4H-SiC MOSFETs: Analysis and Experimental Results (2019)
- Comprehensive Physics of Third Quadrant Characteristics for Accumulation- and Inversion-Channel 1.2-kV 4H-SiC MOSFETs (2019)
- Impact of Cell Topology on Characteristics of 600V 4H-SiC Planar MOSFETs (2019)
- The 1.2-kV 4H-SiC OCTFET: A New Cell Topology With Improved High-Frequency Figures-of-Merit (2019)
View all publications