Dr. Robert W. Heath Jr. joined the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at NC State in August 2020. From 2002 to 2020, he was with the University of Texas at Austin where he was involved in the leadership of their wireless group, and created an initiative to bring together communications, sensing, and machine learning. Dr. Heath is also President and CEO of MIMO Wireless Inc. His research has been extensively funded by industry and government.
Dr. Heath’s research interests include wireless communications cellular systems, public safety, and military networks, with recent applications to vehicular communication systems, 5G, and now 6G.
He has authored or co-authored several books including “Introduction to Wireless Digital Communication” (Prentice Hall, 2017), “Millimeter Wave Wireless Communications” (Prentice Hall, 2014) and “Foundations of MIMO Communication” (Cambridge University Press, 2019).
2002 Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, Stanford University.
1997 M.S. in Electrical Engineering, University of Virginia.
1996 B.S. in Electrical Engineering, University of Virginia.
Awards & Honors
- IEEE Kiyo Tomiyasu Award (2019)
- Qualcomm Faculty Award (2019)
- Named a Highly Cited Researcher 2014-2019 in Computer Science (2014 also in Engineering)
- Finalist for the European Inventor Award 2016 with Paulraj and Gesbert, for the invention of MIMO communication
- Fellow of the National Academy of Inventors (2017)
- European Association for Signal Processing (EURASIP) Technical Achievement Award (2017)
- IEEE Wireless Communications Technical Committee Recognition Award (2018)
- IEEE Communication Theory Technical Committee Outstanding Service Award (2017)
- Fellow of the IEEE (2011)
- Frontiers in Education New Faculty Fellow (2003)
- IEEE Signal Processing Society Distinguished Lecturer (2013-2014)
Select paper awards
- IEEE Communications Society Stephen O. Rice Prize (2019)
- Journal of Communications and Networks Best Paper Award (2014, 2018)
- IEEE ICC Best paper Award for the Signal Processing for Communications Symposium (2017)
- IEEE Marconi Prize Paper Award in Wireless Communications (2017)
- Co-author of paper receiving the 2016 SPS Young Author Best Paper Award (given to my students Ahmed Alkhateeb and Omar El Ayach)
- IEEE Communications Society and Information Theory Society Joint Paper Award (2016)
- IEEE Communications Society Fred W. Ellersick Prize (2016)
- IEEE GLOBECOM Best Paper Award in Communication Theory (2015)
- EURASIP Journal on Advances in Signal Processing Best Paper Award (2014)
- IEEE Signal Processing Society Best Paper Award (2013)
- EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking Best Paper Award (2011, 2013)
- IEEE Signal Processing Magazine Best Paper Award (2012)
Other items of note
- IEEE GLOBECOM 2017 Most Attended Industry Program Award 1st Runner-Up - V2X for Automated Driving in 4G, 5G and beyond
- IEEE GLOBECOM 2016 Most Attended Industry Panel Award
- Grand Prize in the 2008 WinCool Demo Contest, held in conjunction with the Third International Workshop on Wireless Network Testbeds, Experimental Evaluation, and Characterization, on conjunction with ACM MobiCom 2008.
- DeepWiPHY: Deep Learning-Based Receiver Design and Dataset for IEEE 802.11ax Systems (2021)
- Scheduling Observers Over a Shared Channel With Hard Delivery Deadlines (2021)
- Waveform Design and Accurate Channel Estimation for Frequency-Hopping MIMO Radar-Based Communications (2021)
- Adaptive Virtual Waveform Design for Millimeter-Wave Joint Communication-Radar (2020)
- Double-Sequence Frequency Synchronization for Wideband Millimeter-Wave Systems with Few-Bit ADCs (2020)
- Leveraging Sensing at the Infrastructure for mmWave Communication (2020)
- Revisiting Research on Signal Processing for Communications in a Pandemic [From the Editor] (2020)
- Spatial Channel Covariance Estimation for Hybrid Architectures Based on Tensor Decompositions (2020)
- Submitting Columns and Forums to SPM [From the Editor] (2020)
- What Does an Editor-in-Chief of IEEE Signal Processing Magazine Do, Anyway? [From the Editor] (2020)